Urgent message from the Andersons



Dear Ones,
 I know this information may leave you surprised and unprepared but I felt it necessary to pass it on as quickly as possible.When returning from the nursery today I observed movement of a curious nature approximately 2 feet north of the large Box elder tree in our back yard.Upon further investigation ,much to my surprise, there in the grass lay a Broad tail Hummingbird. The little fellow was obviously in shock and I immediately called for back up support. James rushed to my side with spoon of sugar water in hand. Out of respect for this tiny creation we then backed off to allow the little fellow his space. With in minutes the little guy darted from our view and resumed his flight path. 
As you may know this is highly unusual as the Broad Tailed Hummingbird migrates from southern Mexico and Guatemala and is rarely seen in Utah until mid May. We felt our hearts thrill at the prospect of the return of these beautiful creatures.
I cleaned, washed and filed 2 of the 3 feeders I have and hung them in their familiar spots. 
Thirty minutes later while partaking of our evening meal a second BroadTailed Hummingbird was spotted in theVinnca field at the feeder. I feel confidant these brave souls were  clearly the scouts of the migratory group seeking food and shelter for those who will soon follow.
Before long we may also see the
  •  Ruby Throated Hummingbird
  •  Black Chinned Hummingbird 
  •  Calliope Hummingbird
I know it is a bit early but I would strongly encourage you to get your feeders filled and hung for these tired,returning creations of the animal kingdom.

May you all have nectar in your feeders,
Jim and Karyn Anderson (Audubon Custodians)

Comments